Prep Time: 10-15-minutes
Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
Yield: 6-7 servings
1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
1 1/2 cups red onions, finely chopped
6 medium – large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 1/4 tsp cumin seed
2 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp jalapeno pepper, chopped (adjust to taste)
1 can (15 oz / 398 ml) diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz / 398 ml) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz / 398 ml) pinto beans, rinsed and drained (or another can of black beans)
1 1/4 cup frozen corn kernals (optional)
1 vegetable bouillion cube (organic / low sodium)
2 cups water
1 teaspoon Pure Maple syrup (or agave)
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice!
Chopped fresh cilantro for serving!
lime wedges for serving! !
1. In a large pot over medium heat, add the oil, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, cinnamon and jalapeno (if using). Cover and let cook for 6 – 8 minutes, stirring occasionally; reduce heat if onions are sticking.
2. Add remaining ingredients (except lime juice, cilantro and lime wedges) to your pot.
3. Stir through, and increase heat to high to bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. Stir in fresh lime juice, season to taste with additional salt and pepper if desired.
5. Serve individual portions with cilantro and lime wedges, and a dollop of Avocado Cream !
Notes:You can substitute 2 cups soup broth (vegetable or chicken) for the bouillon cube and 2 cups of water.